- About This Product
- Install And Tech Information
DescriptionWith the Variable Geometry Technology (VGT) turbocharger in the '07.5-'17 Ram Turbo Diesel trucks, everything changed when it came to servicing it. To work on it you needed training, expensive tools and you couldn't test the actuator, so as a DIY-er truck owner you were left with replacing the turbo which is expensive.
City Diesel worked to fix this. Step one was to develop an actuator tester that anyone could use. Shortly after they released it, more affordable rebuilt turbochargers started showing up. However, there was still a problem because the actuator has to be calibrated to the turbocharger and you were not able to simply replace an actuator. This means you either have to pay a fee to get the actuator calibrated at a shop that has the correct equipment (average price $200) or buy the entire turbocharger even if the actuator was the only problem.
The cost-effective solution: the creation of a new actuator and gear housing. You replace all the electronics, including the circuit board, motor, harness adapter and a new gear box. There is no calibration required and no complicated installation. Again, what this means to you is that you have a viable, cost-effective option for replacing your actuator when you have a problem.
- Cost effective solution - no need to replace entire turbo.
- No need for expensive tools or a trip to the dealership calibration.
- It wipes the vanes/self-testing on every key cycle, preventing soot and carbon buildup.
- The actuator motor has almost twice the torque: This makes it more difficult for the vanes to freeze up and gives you faster throttle response.
- The actuator was designed from the beginning to work well with EFI-live aftermarket tuners.
- Replacement actuator, gear housing, gaskets and wiring adapter included.
- Drain the coolant
- Remove the four 5mm Allen-head bolts holding the actuator to the turbo.
- Check to make sure the gear that the actuator moves on the turbo is free.
- Separate the actuator shell by removing the 4 torx bit screws holding it together.
- Join our actuator to your gearbox with the included screws. (It is very important that the turbo be completely dry before installing the new actuator.If not, and the circuit board is fried, we WILL void the warranty)
- Bolt the assembly back on to your turbo with the included new 5mm Allen-head bolts.
- Replace the coolant.
ReviewsWrite a review
Mar 12, 2020 | By JAMES JOHNSON
Purchased this item about three months ago. It has worked flawlessly, Stock product had been rebuilt by so jackleg outfit in Florida and had problems the week after replacement. You can't go wrong with this Actuator, it is also built great. Can't say it enough, Works as advertised!!!!
Excellent! Amazing part and service.
Dec 26, 2019 | By Michael Robinson
After getting codes P003A, P00AF, and U010C. Lost communication with Turbocharger, I nailed it down to the actuator failing which is common for this truck. Don't even bother getting another ticking timebomb holset actuator, go with City Diesel instead. This part was shipped to my door fast by Genos and even had a personal email letting me know it is on it's way. It was easy to install and contacting City Diesel with questions, they quickly responded with email, text, and calls and helped me to get my truck running right. Save yourself the headache, time, money and order this part that the company City Diesel stands behind to get it right.
Install and Tech Information
Download Actuator Installation Instructions.pdf